Thursday, March 31, 2005

And they'll be rocking in Boston

Last Friday, Good Friday. If there was ever a day that lost its original meaning, it's Good Friday. It seems to be good to everyone, because the Financial Markets are closed, so that means that everyone is off work, even just a little. I felt good doing my part, precipitating this towards the exit door movement. Everyone was wondering, whispering at the lunch table about asking to get off Friday afternoon. Then I had to break it all off by saying hi to my boss and just asking, "so, would it be okay if I took a bus out of town a bit early on Friday, maybe 3?" Oh, I told him. Then everyone in my 23-28 age bracket followed suit. There are leaders and there are followers, and I think I know what it takes to be a certain kind of leader. It may not be a paid position, but I'm out of town before all ya'll! Peace!

So on this holiest of weekends I ended up with two unholy people that I grew up with. Oh, we had a great time, doing what we used to do as kids: Bowling (candlepin bowling to be specific), drinking...sodas..., listening to music, pointing out how stupid I am. We added in some new activities that as young men we didn't take part in: Fine dining and foreign films. Of course, any dining is a little finer when you're seated across from the young chinese chef. Oh la la we said as we tried to finish one course after another. This young girl was headed over to the same region of France that I spent a weekend in with a young English girl. I told her, "visit the abbey, it's beautiful". Such sage advice can't come from anyone, just from someone who recommends abbies or museums without ever remembering their names.

It was great to walk around Harvard and MIT campuses. For the first time in my life I knew that my place was not among them. I enjoyed the architecture and looked at everyone with a quiet midwesterner's gaze which said "you may be smarter than me, but I can run you over with my truck."

1 Comments:

At 11:04 AM, Blogger x said...

Harvard and MIT, pretentious bastards. They are not smarter than me (I'm loathe to admit that almost anyone is, Stephen Hawking excluded of course) they just have parents that can pay for it. Not that I am bitter!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home