Sunday, March 13, 2005

And it couldn't be real

It's all happened. Another person has seen my apartment, deemed it small. I left New York for a vacation and came back within a week. I watched TV. I found life again difficult to enjoy.

A week spent with my parents showed me how much I had compared to other kids. My parents are both successful in business and so they coached me in everything from how to interview to where to look for jobs, from losing in corporate politics to winning in corporate politics. This was priceless stuff, and as I looked at the desperate titles of career guidance in a Honolulu Border's Books, I really didn't know what I'd do without it.

Hawaii is a sport-lover's paradise. I went after traditional surfing, which I learned how to do pretty fast in calm but steady waves. I only hit one person, and it was only his head, which he probably should have ducked underwater. Surfing was everywhere, even at a museum we could look out at someone surfing a couple hundred feet off shore. On a cold afternoon we watched kiteboarders cruise through choppy waters. I even found out that the old Discovery Channel standby, getting in a cage and having sharks swim around you, is now availible for consumers.

None of us, though, wanted to stay for the rest of our lives. With my sister and I, you'd have to take our word for it. My parents, though, have the wherewithall to move out there, but plans made years ago really mean something to them. They're still going with the life of farmers, a life that's guaranteed to be "in-the-works" for years to come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home