Monday, March 07, 2005

Early in the Morning and Late in the Eveningtime

I can't tell you what's happening in New York. Hopefully it's not buried in snow, hopefully a bunch of robbers haven't figured out how to get into the window of my apartment. I'm writing from Hawaii, for our spring-time family vacation. My mom just came back from the beach, looked at the laundry and asked why no one had collected it yet. Well, clearly we're all on vacation, feeling kind of lazy, and so we all expect her to do it. That's not exactly true. We're pretty P.C., so we don't believe that mom should do all the work. But we do wait for the work to get done, and when mom does it we're all pretty happy.

I met a relative today, he's of my Grandmother's generation but is 18 years younger than her. He moved to Hawaii in the 70's and never came back. I can understand how he did it, he worked nine-to-five's in cultivating all kinds of big gardens and then spent and still spends all his leisure time on several beaches seven days a week. I'll have to post a picture of this guy because he looks real healthy, tanned but not cancer-spotty.

Don't Worry, to all those who worry about me. I'm enjoying this week in Hawaii as much as I enjoyed last week, when I told everyone that I was going to Hawaii. We've only driven the length of Oahu, stopping here and there, and it's taken hours. My parents have reached a point in their lives where they don't see this Hawaii trip as their last. They're happy to do almost everything, even things they've done before.

I know that parts of Hawaii can get crowded, but we haven't seen those crowds yet. Instead, there's been people who were at the North Shore on Sunday to see 25 foot waves who were on the Eastern shore to swim in some finer waves today. People here don't just talk about the weather, they know what the weather, especially the wind, will bring to certain parts of the island. Then they follow the conditions to follow their own pleasures. My great-uncle twice removed (at that point we would call him a distant cousin) has been doing it for over twenty years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home