Monday, June 13, 2005

In my mind I'm goin' to Carolina

Many winters ago, I was on a plane bound for asia with an intelligent, headstrong friend. I was obsessed with the idea that my destiny lay in my blood as a gentille southern aristocrat, one who must deign effronteries like aggressive networking, smarmy sales tactics, or performance-based salaries only if the family's in real trouble. I didn't think that this was something I would have to overcome because I thought it was inevitable--it was who I was. My lifelong challenge would be to ease myself into being comfortable with this role, no easy task I assure you. With the world spinning around me I would have to content myself with walking around on my southern mossy grounds, stopping every once and a while, and tapping the back of my calves with a stick.

My friend thought all this was ludicrous. Later, though, he would concede and own up to my abilities in relishing a life where little gets done because, as one knows, you can't do much better than that.

Recently, I pulled my southern self up to the telephone at my desk and called my boss. It was time to ask for a raise. I could see the world spinning around me, other people clinching their fists as they were making deals, and I knew I needed some change, some action. To the point, I felt like seeing a cost-of-living increase directly on my check, so I decided to test the waters. It was deemed acceptable. Eventually though, I was informed that I may need to pass muster by securing some deals myself, depending on the stance taken by the as-of-yet nonexistent vice-president. Even I, I who laughed longest at the idea of earning money through so-called honest, hard work, agreed with this. I want to make at least one sale.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home